Discussion #1: Women in Ancient Society (100 words)
- Is this (the opening statement about class) evident in Hammurabi’s Code? What does Hammurabi’s Code tell us about women in ancient Babylon?
- How did the political and social roles of women in Egypt differ from those of other ancient societies?
- To what extent does Lerner’s generalization from above apply for our own day and age?
Discussion #2: Aristotle and Virtue Theory (100 words)
- What is virtue theory?
- How does one arrive at the Golden Mean?
- Why should you become virtuous? How can you become virtuous according to Aristotle?
- What is Eudaimonia?
- Apply Aristotle’s advice concerning the Golden Mean to your own experiences. In what way might this principle work to influence your own behavior?
Discussion 3: Violence in Ancient Rome (100 words)
- What type of violence-based leisure activities do Americans participate in and/or support?
- In ancient Rome, the death penalty was common for criminals, prisoners of war, and for people in positions of power. In what ways does our society mirror the ancient Romans when it comes to these three areas? How is our society different?