Exhibit texts: (a) Elizabeth Kolbert’s The Sixth Extinction and (b) your choice of any
work of literary journalism.
• PROMPT: Connect The Sixth Extinction (perhaps a particular chapter or two) to a work
of literary journalism published since 2014 (this included Richardson’s “The Ballad of a
Sad Climatologist” and Schultz’s “The Really Big One”) and ground your argument in
the history and characteristics of the form.
• Regardless of your paper’s content you are required to incorporate appropriate
engagements with (and proper citations of) Background sources, Exhibit sources, and
Argumentative sources as follows:
• At least three academic sources—two of which must be peer reviewed academic
• Multiple background sources including reviews, works of journalism, and
historical contexts to situate your argument (Background)
• Sufficient amount of direct quotes and references to text(s) (Exhibit)