Part III: Managing Conflict Virtually
Even though your team presented Lauren with an agenda for the kickoff meeting, along with ground rules, she used the agenda below for the kick-off meeting.
She set expectations for status reporting, the technologies to be used, and performance management. The types of communication the team agreed on included e-mail, instant messaging, and web conferencing. The team also agreed to use Microsoft SharePoint to report project status and to create a virtual community for team members to build relationships and trust. Lauren asked all team members to upload their pictures and their résumés to jump-start the community.
· Getting-to-Know-You Activity
· Team Goals and Objectives
· Technologies We Will Use (open discussion)
· Virtual Community (pictures and bios)
· Status Reporting
· Team Meetings
· One-on-one meetings
Despite setting ground rules, the following conflicts arose within Lauren’s team:
· Lags in e-mail responses generated mistrust between two team members.
· One team member complained that the other team members tried to use instant messaging to solve complex problems and resolutions are never reached.
· There has been an uneven exchange of project knowledge.
In your assigned groups, you are to:
· Recommend actions Lauren should take now to resolve these conflicts.
· Discuss what Lauren could have done to prevent the conflicts from occurring in the first place.
· Recommend actions Lauren can take to minimize team conflict in the future.