WEEK 4 DISCUSSION
WELCOME to the discussion for WEEK 4. Please respond in complete sentences for each question, unless directed to do otherwise, demonstrating in your reply that you have read the material in order to receive full credit.
Topic 1: Copyright
This week you read about copyright and some of the laws governing digital rights management.
Copyright protection is available for original works of authorship that are fixed in a tangible form, whether published or unpublished. The categories of works that can be protected by copyright laws include paintings, literary works, live performances, photographs, movies, and software.
Make an argument for or against the following statement: “Copyright is the only way for musicians, artists, and filmmakers to protect their integrity. What’s important is not profit, but protecting creative content from unfair use. Copyright should remain an important part of our law”. Justify your response with support from the reading.
Topic 2: Customer Location Data
This week you read the article “Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint Suspend Selling of Customer Location Data (web page).
Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint will no longer share its customers’ location information with several third-party companies who failed to handle the data appropriately.
Do you agree with phone companies sharing their customers’ information with third-party companies? Why or why not? Support your answer.
Topic 3: Filter Bubbles
This week read the article” Measuring the Filter Bubble: How Google is measuring what you click” and watched “How Filter Bubbles Isolate You” (YouTube Video)
If you and I performed a Google Internet search on a topic, we could get totally different results. How is this possible? In attempts to provide us with user-specific content based on the data they collect on us, web companies may also be restricting us from information and “narrowing our world view.”
What are your thoughts on filter bubbles? Have you ever encountered a Filter Bubble? Do you think companies like Facebook and Google have a civic responsibility in this area?
Posting instructions :
Please read this information extremely carefully:
- Please include the topic number and title in your subject name for each discussion throughout the course.. For instance, Topic 1: Copyright. It has to be clear what you are answering so ensure you clearly label.
- Do not attach answers or files in discussion unless directions state to do so.
- You must respond in complete sentences for each question, unless directed to do otherwise. Ensure you answer each question within the topic as this week there are multiple questions in the topics.
- Minimum Topic Response: Posts need to be at least a 70 words, substantive and answer all parts.. If your reply for this question is less than 70 words and not substantive, you will lose points. You can use Microsoft Word to count the words in your response to make sure you have met the requirement.
- 🙂 to indicate a smile and lol for laughter is fine and I may use it myself from time to time in discussion. I would give deductions for other text speak such as using “u” for “you” etc.
- Each topic must be answered in a separate post.
- Answer posted in an organized manner.
- If references are used they need to be cited appropriately. Realize that to answer substantively you may need to do research and if so reference appropriately.
- Do not in any discussions cover same topic/product/website etc for separate topics
- After you post please review it to make sure it is formatted correctly and is easy to read and has no spelling errors